NOTE: Peptides and Oligos are now two separate teams.
This is a fast-growing area of interest for the Pharmaceutical industry and many companies have invested heavily in developing increased capabilities for peptide synthesis in-house and at contract manufacturing organizations. The synthesis of peptides and oligonucleotides is associated with the use of comparatively high volumes of solvent. RT member companies have organized around benchmarking, best practice sharing, and the identification of new synthetic methodologies in an attempt to reduce the impacts associated with these processes.
Amgen, AZ, BI, Biogen, BMS, Genentech, GSK, JNJ, Lilly, Roche, Takeda, WuXi
Greening Processes externally and at member companies.
Updated: October 2021
- Perspectives article published in the Journal of Organic Chemistry in Jan 2021
- Compiled PMI data on oligo process, review of green chem improvements
- Presented paper at TIDES Europe Nov 2020 and TIDES USA in Sep 2021
WuXi has joined the group
- A new focus for the group is needed now the paper has been published
(i.e. new greener oligos publication)
- ACS GCIPR 2020 targeted grant is wrapping up
- Professor Pasi Virta, University of Turku, Finland, focusing on solution phase chemistry, better protecting groups, stereoselective phosphorothioate synthesis
- Recruit more Pharm companies/oligo CMOs to the team
- Submit 2022 grant proposal